FASHION, FOOD, EVENTS & TRAVEL

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Ask any Londoner that loves their food about Borough Market and their eyes glaze over as they slip into a daydream about the place. It's a haven for foodies like me. I think I could spend hours walking about the place, trying samples and thinking up ways to eat all the lush ingredients in front of me.

Top, jeans & bag from Next
Sandals from Primark
Sunglasses from New Look
Necklace from Wallis
As well as the famous market itself, Borough Market and the surrounding area is also home to some of the best delis, cafés and restaurants in the capital. While on my weekend in the city, we took a trip to Roast, a restaurant situation above the market for lunch. Unfortunately, it was on a Monday, so the market itself wasn't open.




However, that didn't deflect on what it was like on the inside. This fantastic room is made airy and bright by the huge Victorian style windows that surround the restaurant. Its modern and stylish, with the perfect amount of class and not a drop of pretentiousness or arrogance. There's just a love of good food and good wine.



For starters, my Dad and I both had the chicken broth with poached pheasant egg. It was really flavoursome and a superbly light starter.


Mum went for the scotch egg, obviously made there with fresh haggis and egg. She said it was fantastic and it definitely looked it.




For the main course, I went for bream pan-fried in parsley butter, with brown shrimp and capers. I really love my fish and I really loved this rich dish. I had it with some jersey royal potatoes, that perfectly matched the rich butteriness (yes, that's a word) of the fish. Served with a fantastic glass of bubbly (I asked for a glass of something fizzy and this is what they bought me, so I have no idea what it was but it tasted great).


Mum went for slow roasted pork belly.


Dad opted for the beef. They both said it was really fantastic.



After dinner, I fancied something savoury so ended up with a massive cheese board of Stawley cheese from Somerset which was brilliant but filled me up sooo much, especially after the richness of my main!


Mum had a sticky date pudding, which (surprise, surprise) was also great.

As you can tell, I can't rate Roast enough and would encourage anyone to go there and try it. It would be lovely on market day, to sit up high and watch the market, but I would say to book first to avoid disappointment. All the information is available here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Nice to meet you...

My photo
The Sunny South, UK, United Kingdom
Welcome to the beach of my mind. All enquiries welcome... elizabettyspaghettiblog@gmail.com
Part of the next blogger network

Search This Blog