FASHION, FOOD, EVENTS & TRAVEL

Friday 28 June 2013

Today's post comes laden with good news... I am officially on my summer holidays! Yayyyyy! Although I haven't been at uni since March, I have been interning until last Friday when my time was up. I loved every second of it and I'm definitely planning on going back, but for now I am super happy to be back in the cocoon of my tiny seaside town with all my pals for a good few months.


With this in mind, it now means I can cook meals again, which means more food blog posts! Yay! I haven't done any in such a long time and seeing as that's what my blog was originally started for, I do apologise for that!


Today's recipe comes in the form of Ginger Chicken Cakes with Spicy Lime Noodles. I'm going on holiday next week so at the moment I am trying really hard to keep a controlled diet (for the obvious reason that I can then go totally off the rails on holiday!). This recipe was adapted from a canapé book that belongs to my Mum. I also used a Jamie Oliver dressing recipe from his 15 Minute Meals book, as a sauce for the noodles. So it's a bit of a mish mash of ideas, but isn't that what cooking is all about?!


To make this gorgeous, fresh dish for two people, you'll need:

For the chicken cakes:
2 chicken breasts - diced into small chunks
1 inch piece of ginger - chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 spring onions - chopped
2 cloves garlic - crushed
Juice of 1 lime
Few twists of ground black pepper

For the noodle dressing:
2 tbsp soy
1 tbsp fish sauce
Half a red chilli - chopped
Half inch ginger - chopped
2 spring onions - chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic - crushed

2 nests of egg noodles (or any kind you like - I love rice noodles but didn't have any in stock)
Salad - if you fancy it



Start by pre-heating the oven to 200°C. Prepare all the ingredients for the chicken as listed above (chop things), and chuck them in a blender. Then you should press the button and blend it baby. You don't want it looking like a minging chicken smoothie - it should still have a bit of substance. I'd recommend just pulsing it a few times.



Tip it out onto your chopping board again and form it into the cakes. I managed to make 4 big cakes and a few baby ones out of my mix. You need to form them in balls, then slap them down onto the oiled baking tray. Try and make them thin, because you want them to cook nice and quickly but obviously you need them to be fully cooked! It goes without saying you should definitely have clean hands for this task. When the oven is hot enough pop them in for about 15 minutes.




Next, put a pan of water on to boil for your noodles. While this is getting up to temperature, add your dressing ingredients into a blender. (Use a different one from your first one if you can, if not make sure you wash the first blender properly before making the dressing. No one wants raw chicken dressing.) You can blend this up as much as you like because you're making a sauce. If you want, you could add a few tbsp of water in, just to make the dressing stretch a bit further, as I have to admit, there wasn't loads to go round. I'm going to do that next time I make this.





When your chicken has got about 3 minutes left and your water is boiling, chuck the noodles in. (You may need to cook your noodles for longer than 3 minutes- so check the packet). While they're cooking, I prepared a little salad on the plate - nothing fancy!




When the noodles are done, drain them, pop them back in the pan and pour the dressing in. Mix it all together so the dressing has got over all of it. Take your chicken out - make sure it looks done. Pop it all on the plate and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. wow that looks unreal and so tasty! good job!

    thefashionlopedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Nice to meet you...

My photo
The Sunny South, UK, United Kingdom
Welcome to the beach of my mind. All enquiries welcome... elizabettyspaghettiblog@gmail.com
Part of the next blogger network

Search This Blog